Monday, June 27, 2011

Life in the Kitchen

I don’t know about you, but nothing says summer like an ice cold glass of Southern Sweet Tea.

My aunt, who transplanted herself to Georgia about 20 years ago, makes the absolute best sweet tea.

Whenever I see her I beg her to make it for me. A few years ago she shared her recipe with me. Mostly because she was tired of me always asking her to make it!

I ran out of my sugar shocked drink of choice last night so I made some more.

Here is the secret recipe:

*when you call it a secret recipe, it tastes better!

DSC06238

Add water to a large pan.

*My aunt says to fill it to the silver thingys.

DSC06239

Turn your burner on Medium

 

DSC06240

 

Add four to six large tea bags.

I like the iced tea blend types because the bags are bigger.

DSC06242

Let the tea slowly boil until the water turns black.

*or about 20 minutes

DSC06243

The number one ingredient…SUGAR!

I love using Splenda because it has ZERO calories and so does the tea.

Win-Win!

DSC06246

Pour and pour and pour.

Seriously, just pour until you think you have enough.

*Or just add 1 1/2 cups

DSC06248

Stir and stir and stir!

 

Turn the heat off. Let it sit until cool.

DSC06244

Pour into empty liquid receptacles.

Put into the fridge.

DSC06245

*Ahh, the nectar of the gods.  

Add to a glass with ice.

Garnish with lemon.

Drink and enjoy!

Repeat as needed during the hot summer months!

What’s your favorite summer drink?

5 comments:

Courtney B said...

Oh yum!! I'm going to have to try this!!
Hearing things like this makes me want to spend time in the south do badly!! :)

Unknown said...

Yum! I've always wondered how to make sweet tea, I didn't know it was just that simple. Thanks for telling me you posted this, today is HOT and I have a feeling I'll be making a batch later on today.

You better come link this up to our Summer Drink Week link-up at the end of the week! ;)

Unknown said...

Thanks so much for linking up your sweet tea! I'm featuring it in just a few, so be sure to grab a button :)

Anonymous said...

How much water did you use?

Rachel said...

It depends on the size of your pot. Fill it up until about only two inches of your pot are empty.